Saturday, March 29, 2008

Response to the 2 Cinderella stories and cultural background

I enjoyed reading the different cultural versions of Cinderella. I feel like it really opened my eyes where I could see that there were different versions of this well known fairy tale and not just the Disney version that I am so use to hearing. I thought it was kind of difficult to come up with the "I Poem For Two Voices" because it was hard to come up with all the different things like what they felt, what they heard, etc. It was also hard for me to put myself in Yeh-Shen's and Vasilisa's shoes to do the "I Poem." "Yeh-Shen's" first page has the Chinese characters that displays what the tale would look like written in Chinese. I searched on Google and found some websites that had suggestions and teaching ideas for the story. They suggested to do a historical/geographical lesson with my students so they could learn about China. I also researched about Russian fairy tales and found that Baba Yaga is the witch in the Slavic fairy tales. It said that Baba Yaga shows up all throughout Russian fairy tales.

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

Yes, that is what imagination is all about. It is our way of empathizing with others, when we put ourselves in their shoes. It is also a great way to involve students in an historical study of cultures, but to make it more real by identifying with characters.