Sunday, February 3, 2008

"The Thief Lord"

When I first began reading this book, I wasn't sure about what I thought. I wasn't that interested in the book when I first began reading it. However by chapter six I couldn't put the book down. I felt as though this book met all the criteria for being an outstanding children's book. The book was set in Venice, Italy and the book really described the many different sites in Venice. The book provided an enjoyable read. The two plots really played in well. You had one plot that included all the kids and their adventure of working for the "Thief Lord" and told their story of how they were orphans and the "Thief Lord" took care of them. The second plot was Victor, the private detective. and his search for Esther's nephews, Prosper and Bo. I felt as though this book told the truth. It discussed how it would be growing up without parents and how the children had to fend for themselves. This book thoroughly embodied quality. As I have already said the plot was very convincing and had a very good plot twist. The description in this book was amazing! When I read the scenes describing how the air felt and the smell and how everything looked, it made me feel as though I was actually there in Venice experiencing these different things with the kids. My favorite thing about the book was its originality. Scipio, or the "Thief Lord", was an amazing character. In the beginning when Hornet, Riccio, and Mosca are talking about the Thief Lord, I expect some big, older man; certainly not a child! Scipio was a child who was well beyond his years. I felt as if he, as well as all the other children, went through things that only adults should endure. I was completely shocked when the reader finds out that Scipio is well off and his father owns the movie theatre that the children are staying in. I also enjoyed the plot twist when Victor begins helping the children and realizes that Bo is better off with his brother, Prosper, than he would be if he lived with his aunt Esther.

I loved each and every one of the characters. Prosper was a "misfit" as his aunt called him, but in reality he was just wanting what was best for Bo. He couldn't stand the thought of Bo and him being separated. When Prosper sees the detective following him in the city, his first thought is to protect the others. He was a very caring individual. Bo is Prosper's brother and is just a little boy. He gets excited every time Scipio comes around. He can't wait until he finally gets to go steal some things with Scipio. Hornet is a little girl who is with the other boys hiding out. No one knows her real name or her story until the end of the book. Riccio and Mosca are two other boys who are hiding out in the theatre. Scipio is the Thief Lord. He is the one who "steals" the things to take to Barbarossa to make money. He gives the money to Hornet so she can buy the boys' food and other things that they need to survive. Victor is the detective who gets hired by Prosper and Bo's aunt to find the boys.

I loved the way Cornella Funke took children around the age of the fifth graders who would be reading this, and used them to tell this story. The way she used Venice, a real life place, and set up a story of children who steal things to survive and who live in this movie theatre. They do everything on their own and don't depend on anyone else to provide for them.

One of most particular passages is when all of the kids are in a store and they go in different directions to try and outwit Victor. Victor starts following them so Hornet is quick on her feet and starts pretending that Victor is attacking her. These children were very smart individuals.

I loved this book and felt as though it would be an appropriate book for the classroom. I especially found the glossary in the back of the book helpful in finding out what these Italian words meant.

No comments: