Sunday, February 24, 2008

"I See the Moon and the Moon Sees Me"

Title: "I See the Moon and the Moon Sees Me"
Author: Jonathan London
Illustrator: Peter Fiore
Publisher: Viking, 1996
Genre: Picture Book (displaying poetry/nursery rhymes)
Age Range: K-2

This book is about an older traditional nursery rhyme that has been expanded and made into a story. It talks of all these objects in nature like the sun, the moon, the mountains, the river, etc. and then it asks the object a question. It follows the nursery rhyme but has added in other objects. The book ends by asking the moon if it will dream with him.

I have always loved this nursery rhyme for as long as I can remember. My mama used to always sing me this song, but this was the first time I had seen all the objects added in. I just remember that when I would hear this song, it would put me to sleep because it's such a peaceful song. It makes me feel like nothing was wrong at the time. All I could hear was that song. I love how the pictures are water-colored and they are so real looking. The last page shows a picture of his house and the white picket fence and it looks as though I am standing on that street looking at the front of the house. I love how Fiore shows the boy and that certain object in each picture. These paintings are amazing and I feel like I was right there with the boy each step of the way.

I would use this book in a younger elementary class. I think this book would be a great way to teach my students about the different objects in nature and their different characteristics, as well as poetry and nursery rhymes. I also think it could be used to teach Kinders about questions and what kind of questions can be asked.

No comments: