Sunday, February 3, 2008

"Jessica"

Author and Illustrator: Kevin Henkes
Puffin Books, 1989
Picture Book- Fiction
Grade: K-2

This book is about this little girl named Ruthie Simms. She didn't have a dog, a cat, a brother, or a sister but Jessica was the next best thing. Jessica was Ruthie's imaginary friend. Wherever Ruthie went or whatever Ruthie did, Jessica was right there with her. On the night before Ruthie's first day of kindergarten, Ruthie's parents told her that they thought Jessica should stay at home. Jessica went to school with Ruthie anyway. While Ruthie's teacher was going over the childrens' names Ruthie and another little girl named Jessica were'nt listening. When the kinders went to the bathroom they had to have a partner. A little girl came up to Ruthie and asked her if she would be her partner. Ruthie said yes and asked the little girl her name. Her name was Jessica, so Ruthie's best friend really was Jessica.


I love this book! My mama bought me this book when I was little because it's title was my name! I think this book is a good book because it identifies with children who have imaginary friends. The illustrations in this book show Ruthie doing things like eating, buiding towers, and looking at books. In the pictures there is always an empty chair or spot for Jessica. These illustrations also have captions where Ruthie is talking to Jessica. I also like how there are a couple pages that are solid colors when Ruthie's parents tell her that "There is no Jessica!" The last page is probably my favorite page out of the whole book. It shows the real Jessica and Ruthie doing everything together.

I would definitely use this book to teach my students the difference in imaginary friends and real friends. It also gives students ideas of what they can do with their friends.

No comments: